Microsoft Excel Training and Certification Program and Non-Windows Computers
Why is Windows required for Excel Certification?
If you’re getting Excel certified, by now you’ve been told that you unequivocally need Windows. If you are not already aware, this is for a few reasons:
- Recruiters are asking us for students who have a solid background in versions of Excel that exist only for Windows
- Windows is an industry standard in the business world
- Microsoft Excel 2013 is a Windows-only product
- Gmetrix, our practice test software, is a Windows-only product
- All supporting software (specific versions of Flash Player, .NET Framework) is Windows-only. This means that you CANNOT install Gmetrix, Office 2013, or .Net on your Mac. It simply is not possible.
In general, Whitman advises its students to bring Windows computers to school for their coursework. Our full recommendations can be found at http://whitman.syr.edu/current-students/technology/computing.aspx including the reasons for our recommendation.
What you need to do
RemoteApp is a web based service that we have set up for you to use, among other things, for Excel Training. If you have an Apple computer, this really is the most convenient way for you to complete the IT Academy curriculum and Gmetrix practice exams. If you don't already have access to it, please send an email to email@example.com and let us know.
To learn more about RemoteApp, click here.If you already have access to it, click here to log in.