MAC wireless Printing
Perform the following steps once to set up your Mac computer to print wirelessly
- Go to the Apple menu and open System Preferences
- Click on Print & Fax.
NOTE: If you do not see Print & Fax, click the Show All button, and then you will see it.
- Within the Printing section, click on the + icon to add a new printer.
- On the toolbar at the top part of the window, look for an Advanced (gear) icon.
NOTE: If you do not see it, add it as described in step 5. If you see it, skip to step 6.
- Hold down the Control key while clicking anywhere on the toolbar of that window (for example, on the "More Printers" icon), then choose Customize Toolbar from the menu that appears. Drag the Advanced (gear) icon to the toolbar and click Done.)
- Now click the Advanced (gear) icon on the toolbar. From the Type menu, choose Windows.
NOTE: It could take a minute before you are able to choose anything from the Type menu...give it a few seconds.
- Enter one of the following URLs:
210 Lab Black and White: smb://whit-prq-02.ad.syr.edu/whit-pr210
210 Lab Color: smb://whit-prq-02.ad.syr.edu/whit-pr210color
310 Lab Black and White: smb://whit-prq-02.ad.syr.edu/whit-pr310
310 Lab Color: smb://whit-prq-02.ad.syr.edu/whit-pr310color
- In the Name field, type a nickname that you would like to use for this printer (e.x. 210 Lab BW).
- Select Generic Postscript Printer as the "Print Using" driver. Then click Add.
NOTE: If you are using Snow Leopard, an "Installable Options" window will open next. You should select the "Duplex Printing Unit" option in this window before selecting Continue.
- Once you have added all the printers you want to add, you can close the Print & Fax window.
- Open the file you wish to print
- Go to the File menu and choose Print. From the printer dropdown, select the printer that you want to use. (NOTE: Snow Leopard users who did not already add the "Duplex Printing Unit" will need to take an additional, one-time, step in order to print double-sided. Go to System Preferences, Print & Fax, select the double-sided printer, then select "Options & Supplies", select the "Driver" tab and check the "Duplex Printing Unit" option. Then click "OK".) Then, click the Print button in the file you wish to print.
- You will be asked to log in as a "registered user". Type your SU NetID in ad\login format -- for example, ad\jdoe09. Your password is your SU NetID password. Be sure to use your SU Login, not your Mac username and MAKE SURE that you do not forget the ad\. Without the ad\ your authentication will fail AND if you go on to the next step with that mistake, you will have saved incorrect information into the Keychain.
- Once you are sure that you have used the ad\login format, check the box to save your credentials in the keychain. Click OK.
- Once you are ready, click Print.
Note: If your document fails to print, you may need to open the print queue (from Print &Fax menu located in System Preferences), double-click on the document name in the queue and enter your credentials as directed in Step 3.
If you have not been able to successfully add a printer to your list of available printers please call the Student Computing Coordinator at x7365 or email email@example.com for assistance.