- SU security site
- SU computing policy
- SU security toolkit
- Scam and Hoax info
- Password best practices
- Microsoft Security: 4 steps to protect your computer
To turn on Automatic Updates in XP, perform the following steps:
- Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Automatic Updates.
- We recommend that you select the "Automatic (recommended) - Automatically download recommended updates for my computer and install them" option.
- Click OK.
To turn on Windows Update in Vista, perform the following steps:
- Click Start, click All Programs, and then click Windows Update.
- We recommend that you select the "Install updates automatically (recommended)" option.
- Select Every day at 3:00 AM under Install new updates:
- Click OK.
To manually update Windows, go to www.windowsupdate.com and follow the instructions.
Mac OS X Software Update
Software Update is a software tool by Apple Inc. that installs the latest version of Apple software on computers running Mac OS X.
To manually check for updates in Mac OS X:
- From the Apple menu, choose Software Update.
- Mac OS X 10.3 only: Click the Check Now button.
- Software Update checks for available updates. In the Software Update window, select the items you want to install, then click Install. Usually, you should install all available updates.
- Enter an administrator account name and password.
- After installation is complete, restart the computer if a restart is required.
Faculty and staff computers are configured to have the Windows Firewall running at all times.
By default, The Windows Firewall is enabled and no changes need to be made. Read below to check if this true for your computer.
To verify that Windows Firewall in XP is protecting your computer:
- Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
- From the Control Panel, click Security Center.
- If Windows Firewall shows On, you are protected.
- If Windows Firewall shows OFF, it has been disabled. If you have another firewall installed, this is probably OK. If you don't have another firewall installed, you will need to re-enable Windows Firewall from within Security Center.
To re-enable Windows Firewall:
- Click Recommendations.
- Click Enable Now.
- Click Close.
- Click OK.
To verify that Windows Firewall in Vista is protecting your computer:
- Open Windows Firewall by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Security, and then clicking Windows Firewall.
- Click Turn Windows Firewall on or off. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
- Click On (recommended), and then click OK.
Faculty/Staff: Technology Services at the Whitman School of Management provides McAfee antivirus software to faculty and staff for their office computers.
Students living off campus: Technology Services at the Whitman School of Management recommends the following commercial antivirus software: