Professor Wiklund's research interests include entrepreneurship and mental health as well as the performance, growth, exit, and failure of entrepreneurial firms.
Selected Recent Publications:
Brannon, D.L. & Wiklund, J. (forthcoming). An Analysis of Business Models: Firm characteristics, innovation and performance. Academy of Entrepreneurship Journal.
Nason R. & Wiklund J. (forthcoming). An assessment of resource-based theorizing on firm growth and suggestions for the future. Journal of Management.
Deb, P. & Wiklund, J. (Forthcoming). The Effects of CEO Founder Status and Stock Ownership on Entrepreneurial Orientation in Small Firms. Journal of Small Business Management
Hsu, D. K., Wiklund, J., & Cotton, R. D. (2015). Success, Failure, and Entrepreneurial Reentry: An Experimental Assessment of the Veracity of Self-Efficacy and Prospect Theory. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice.
Söderblom, A., Samuelsson, M., Wiklund, J., & Sandberg, R. (2015). Inside the black box of outcome additionality: Effects of early-stage government subsidies on resource accumulation and new venture performance. Research Policy, 44(8), 1501-1512.
Frese, M., Rousseau, D. M. & Wiklund, J. (2014) The emergence of evidence–based entrepreneurship. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice 38(2): 209-216.
Jenkins, A., Wiklund, J. & Brundin, E. (2014) Individual responses to firm failure: Appraisals, grief, and the influence of prior failure experience. Journal of Business Venturing. 29(1): 17-33.
Simmons, S., Wiklund, J., & Levie, J. (2014) Stigma and business failure: Implications for entrepreneurs’ career choices. Small Business Economics. 42(3): 485-505.
Wales, W., Wiklund, J., & McKelvie, A. (2013). What about new entry? Examining the theorized role of new entry in the entrepreneurial orientation–performance relationship. International Small Business Journal. doi:10.1177/0266242613506023
Wiklund, J., Nordqvist, M., Hellerstedt, K. & Bird, M. (2013). Internal versus external ownership transitions in family firms: An embeddedness perspective. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice 37(6): 1319–1340
Amezcua, A., Grimes, M., Bradley, S., & Wiklund, J. (2013). Organizational Sponsorship and Founding Environments: A Contingency View on the Survival of Business Incubated Firms, 1994-2007. Academy of Management Journal. 56:6 1628-1654.
- "Entrepreneurial Orientation and Business Performance: Cumulative Empirical Evidence", Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, forthcoming, (Freese, M., Rauch, A., Lumpkin, T.,)
- "Moving Forward: Balancing the Financial and Emotional Costs of Business Failure", Journal of Business Venturing, 2008, (Shepherd, D. A., Haynie, J. M)
- "Portfolio Entrepreneurship: Habitual and Novice Founders, New Entry and Mode of Organizing", Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, forthcoming, (Shepherd, D. A.)
- "The Role of Human Capital in Loan Officers' Decision Policies", Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, forthcoming, (with Bruns, V., Holland, D., Shepherd, D. A. )
- "The Effect of Small Business Managers' Growth Motivation on Firm Growth: A Longitudinal Study", Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, forthcoming, (with Delmar F. )
- "Reconceptualizing entrepreneurial exit: Divergent exit routes and their drivers", Journal of Business Venturing, forthcoming, (Wennberg, K., DeTienne, D., Cardon, M. )
- "Organic and Acquisitive Growth: Re-examining, Testing and Extending Penrose’s Growth Theory", Journal of Management Studies, forthcoming, (with Lockett, Davidsson, Girma)
- "The Importance of Slack for Organizations Facing Tough Environments", Journal of Management Studies, forthcoming, (with Bradley, S. and Shepherd, S.)
- "Advancing Firm Growth Research: A Focus on Growth Mode Instead of Growth Rate", Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice, 34(2): 261-288, 2010
- "Where to from Here: EO-as-Experimentation, Failure, and Distribution of Outcomes", Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, forthcoming, (with Shepherd, D.)
- "Measuring the Newness of New Ventures", Journal of Business Venturing, forthcoming, (with Dahlqvist, J/)