Brandes's research interests are in the areas of executive compensation, corporate governance, and employee attitudes. Her research appears in publications such as Academy of Management Review, Organization Science, Strategic Management Journal, Academy of Management Perspectives, Journal of Business Research, Group and Organization Management, and Human Resource Management Review.
Goranova, M, Dharwadkar, R., & Brandes, P. "Owners on Both Sides of the Deal: Mergers and Acquisitions and Overlapping Institutional Ownership," Strategic Management Journal (forthcoming).
Dharwadkar, R., Goranova, M., Brandes, P., & Khan, R., 2008, "Institutional Ownership and Monitoring Effectiveness: It’s Not Just What You Own, But What Else You Own." Organization Science, 19(3): 419-440. Special Issue on Corporate Governance.
Brandes, P., & Goranova, M., & Hall, S. (Director, Steven Hall and Partners), 2008. "Navigating Shareholder Influence: Gaining Shareholder Approval of Compensation Plans." Academy of Management Perspectives, 22(1): 41-57.
Goranova, M., Alessandri, T., Brandes, P., & Dharwadkar, R., 2007. "Managerial Ownership and Corporate Diversification: A Longitudinal View." Strategic Management Journal, 28: 211-225.Selected Publications
- "Stock Option Expensing: An Examination of Agency and Institutional Theory Explanations", Journal of Business Research, 59: 595-603, 2006, (with Hadani, M., Goranova, M. )
- "Organizational Cynicism: A Field Examination Using Global and Local Social Exchange Relationships and Workplace Outcomes ", G. Graen & J. Graen (Eds.), Sharing Network Leadership: Greenwich, CT: Information Age Publishing , 191-224, 2006, (with Das, D., Hadani, M. )
- "Managerial Ownership and Corporate Diversification: A Longitudinal View", Strategic Management Journal, 28: 211-225., 2007, (with Goranova, M., Alessandri, T., Dharwadkar, R.)
- "Understanding the Rise and Fall of Stock Options Compensation: Taking Principal–Agent Conflicts to the Institutional (Battle)Field", Human Resource Management Review, 15(2): 97-118, 2005, (with Dharwadkar, R., Das, D.)
- "Institutional Ownership and CEO Compensation: A Longitudinal Examination", Journal of Business Research, 58(8): 1078-1088, 2005, (with Khan, R., Dharwadkar, R.)
- "Locating Behavioral Cynicism at Work: Construct Issues and Performance Implications", P. Perrewe & D. Ganster (Eds.), Research in Occupational Stress and Well Being: Amsterdam, The Netherlands: Elsevier, 5: 233-266, 2006, (with Das, D.)
- "The Importance of Being 'Indian'”: Identity Centrality and Work Outcomes in an Offshored Call Center in India", Human Relations, forthcoming, (with Das, D., Brandes, P. )