Financial Awards

There are numerous ways for our PhD candidates to seek financial awards.

Teaching Assistantships

Students issued graduate assistantships help faculty members teach and conduct research. Full assistantships include 20 hours per week of a combination of teaching, study, and research.

Graduate assistantships consist of an academic year award plus a full-tuition scholarship of up to 24 credits. The spouse of a graduate assistant may take up to six credits for free under the University's remitted tuition program. Graduate assistants should register for no more than nine credits a semester during the academic year. The six remaining credits of the tuition scholarship may be used during the following summer semester.

Students whose native language is not English and who wish to be considered for graduate assistantships must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Teaching assistants (TAs) must participate in the SU's Future Professoriate Program, a nationally recognized program that helps teaching assistants prepare for their teaching assignments.

University Fellowships

Graduate Fellowships are awarded to select students in all areas of study that have outstanding qualifications and the potential to make significant contributions in their future professions. The dean of the Graduate School selects University Fellows based on the recommendation of a faculty advisory committee.

A typical fellowship includes a year of study, followed by a year of teaching or a research appointment, followed by a third year of tuition support. Fellowships consist of an academic year award plus a full-tuition scholarship of up to 30 credits for the academic year. Fellowships are usually awarded for more than one year with additional summer funding also available. Applicants should consult the Graduate School website for information.

Special Awards for International Students

The following are some agencies to which international students may apply to receive money for graduate study.

Institute for International Education (Fulbright Fellowship recipients) Study Abroad Programs Division, Institute for International Education, 809 United Nations Plaza, New York NY 10017, USA; telephone: 212-883-8200; cable: INTERED; telex: ITT-422207, RCA- 223363.

Institute for International Education (Black South African students) South African Education Program, Institute for International Education, 809 United Nations Plaza, New York NY 10017, USA.

African American Institute (African students) 833 United Nations Plaza, New York NY 10017, USA; Telephone: 212-949-5666;

AFRAM; telex: 666-565 Latin American Scholarship Program of American Universities (Latin American students) 25 Mount Auburn Street, Cambridge MA 02138, USA; Telephone: 617-495-5255

Need-based Financial Aid

Need-based financial aid is utilized by many U.S. graduate students to help supplement the cost of studies. These financial aid programs include U.S. government loan programs and work-study assignments issued by Syracuse University.

Descriptions and guidelines for all programs are subject to change at any time as a result of new or amended federal or state legislation or changes in University policies. To apply for need-based aid, graduate applicants who are U.S. citizens must first file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA is available from most college financial aid offices or directly from the U.S. Department of Education.