Minors Available to Management Students
Whitman students are encouraged to pursue a minor offered by other SU schools or colleges and should seek assistance from their academic advisor in choosing a minor that will enhance their academic program. With careful and early planning, many minors can fit into the undergraduate curriculum without a need for extra coursework. While management students are allowed to pursue most minors offered outside of the Whitman School, provided that they have the appropriate prerequisites, they most often choose a minor in economics, global enterprise technology, information management and technology, political science, psychology, public communication studies or a foreign language.
Minors in Management
The Whitman School offers several minors, allowing students to pursue either general management studies or a more specialized program that provides in-depth study in one area of management. A minor in management can help students learn about subjects that contribute to success in business, not-for-profit and government organizations. Knowledge in management is seen as beneficial by many prospective employers.
The minors in Whitman are available to matriculated undergraduate students from all SU schools and colleges other than Whitman, provided that they have the permission of their home school or college and have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.2. Students can minor in:
- Entrepreneurship and Emerging Enterprises
- Management Studies
- International Business
- Real Estate
- Retail Management
- Strategic Management
There are two deadlines for submitting applications for management minors: November 1 and April 1 of each academic year. Due to course sequencing and enrollment limitations, students must have a minimum four semesters to complete the minor requirements. Any student wishing to apply for a management minor after the spring of the sophomore year will be ineligible to declare the minor due to space availability and course sequencing. Taking coursework before applying to the minor will not necessarily reduce the four semester requirement. All applications will be reviewed and considered based on merit, time, and the volume of total applications.
To Declare a Minor in Management
- Check with your home school or college office to make sure you have room in your program for the required courses. Also check that you have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.2.
- Print and complete the Minor Declaration Form (keep in mind the November 1 and April 1 deadlines).
- Bring the minor declaration form to the Whitman Undergraduate Office (Suite 215) before the deadline. If you are approved, you will be notified via e-mail and asked to pick up the form.
- Take the signed form to your home school or college office. They will approve the declaration and give you instructions about how to get the minor officially posted on your SU record.
Transferring Courses into Minors in Management
All 18 credits must be taken through Syracuse University for a letter grade. No transfer credit will be considered for the Management minor.