Skip to ContentSkip to Main Site NavigationSkip to Site Left NavigationSkip to Site Utility NavigationSkip to Site Search


Whitman students are required to apply management skills and knowledge outside the classroom, completing both an internship and community service

The Whitman Career Center (located at 115 Whitman) and the University Center for Career Services (located at 235 Schine) have information about internship opportunities. You can meet with a career advisor to discuss job and internship search strategies, as well as resume and cover letter writing. They offer many services and resources including coordination for local and national internships, access to Handshake (a web-accessible system used to publicize postings, recruiting events and related activities), access to alumni and various workshops.

How can I receive academic credit for my internship?
If you plan to receive academic credit, the procedure is as follows:

1. Make arrangements to receive experience credit for your internship with a full-time faculty member before you begin your project.

2. Print an Internship Proposal/Agreement and complete it with the faculty member. Register for the course as a BUA 270 (first-year and sophomores) or BUA 470 (juniors and seniors). (Note: Only BUA 470, completed by juniors and seniors, can be used towards your management electives and to fulfill the internship requirement)

3. Obtain the signatures of the faculty member and the chair of the department.

4. Return the completed form to the Undergraduate Office to obtain the approval of the Assistant Dean.

5. If approved, the Undergraduate Office will send the form to the registrar for processing, where it will be added to your schedule.

Internships can be used as a free elective or management elective. A maximum of three credits of internship or independent study can be used as a management elective. Students dually enrolled with Newhouse cannot count internships taken for credit towards their course requirements.