Skip to ContentSkip to Main Site NavigationSkip to Site Left NavigationSkip to Site Utility NavigationSkip to Site Search

Syracuse MBA Program Scholarships and Financial Aid

Merit-Based Financial Support

Syracuse MBA Scholarships
All Syracuse MBA scholarships are awarded based on merit and the qualifications shown on a student's admission application. Applicants are not required to apply separately for merit-based scholarships.

External Scholarships and Fellowships
Syracuse MBA applicants are encouraged to apply for the numerous scholarships and fellowships available from foundations and other privately endowed sources including state and federal awards. Consult the Annual Register of Grant Support, Peterson's Grants for Graduate Study and the Grants Register, which can be found in most libraries and college placement offices in the United States. International students are encouraged to contact their government's education ministry office for information about funding for study in the United States.

Loan Programs

Federal Unsubsidized Loans
The lender is the U.S. Department of Education. Eligibility is determined by the information you submit on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and according to U.S. Department of Education regulations.

Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan
The Graduate PLUS Loan is a federally-backed program of the U.S. government. This loan is largely dependent on the borrower's credit rating and history. Repayment is deferred while students are attending school at least half-time. Applicants for this program must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Applicants should instruct the processor to send a processed copy to Syracuse University by filling in school code 002882.

Alternative Loan Programs
Loan programs offered by private organizations are available to U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents to supplement other forms of financial aid. It is not necessary to file a FAFSA for these programs.

International students may borrow under these programs provided that they have a co-signer who is a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident residing in the United States.

For more information, please visit Syracuse University's Financial Aid website.

Government Aid

Veterans Benefits

Veterans Administration Education benefits give qualified veterans and their dependents a monthly stipend. For more information on this program, visit the Veterans Resource Center, 700 University Ave or website.

Other Government Aid
Other programs for which students may qualify are Office of Vocational Rehabilitation Benefits, Parent and Student Savings Plan, State Aid to Native Americans and U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs Aid to American Indians. Applicants should consult the appropriate government offices for further information on these programs.


Whitman Student Assistants
Student Assistants (SA) are paid at an hourly rate of $16 per hour and are required to work between 5 and 20 hours per week during the academic year. SAs assist faculty in their grading and research. Hiring decisions are made by the individual faculty at the beginning of each semester.

Syracuse University Campus Employment
All students are eligible for on-campus employment at Syracuse University. Job postings are listed here.

Employment Information for International Students
Immigration regulations limit part-time employment opportunities for international students. If you have an F-1 visa, you may work on campus without permission from U.S. immigration. You must get a statement from Syracuse University's Center for International Services indicating you are able to work part-time on campus during the academic year and full-time during holidays and summers. This statement is used by SU's payroll department.

Normally, international students with F-1 visas may not be employed off campus during the first calendar year. After the first year (12 months), you may apply to U.S. immigration for permission to work off campus if you can prove an unexpected political or monetary crisis has caused changes in your financial circumstances. If approved, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security issues an Employment Authorization Document as proof of employment eligibility.

If you have an exchange-visitor (J-1) visa, you may be given permission to work on or off campus by your sponsor. You must request a letter of permission from your sponsor to be used by employers to authorize employment.

To ask about permission for employment, either on or off campus, and to find out the current regulations about proof of employability, contact Syracuse University's Lillian and Emanuel Slutzker Center for International Services, 310 Walnut Place; telephone (315) 443-2457; e-mail