Lubin School of Accounting/MIS
For Fall 2014, the Whitman PhD program will NOT accept applications for Accounting / M.I.S.
Recent accounting doctoral student presentations:
- Fernando, G. & Thevaranjan, A. "The Effect of Audit Quality on Cash Incentive Compensation." AAA Northeast Region Meeting, 2007.
Recent papers by accounting doctoral students coauthored with accounting faculty:
- Emre Kilic, Ahmed, A., & Lobo, G. "Does Recognition versus Disclosure Matter? Evidence from Value-Relevance of Banks' Recognized and Disclosed Derivative Financial Instruments." The Accounting Review, 81(3): 567-589, 2006.
Recent completed dissertations by accounting doctoral students:
- The Effect of Audit Quality on Cash Incentive Compensation and Cost of Capital, by Guy D. Fernando (2007)
- Does the Auditor's Portfolio Structure Matter? The effects of Industry Expertise on Audit Quality and Audit Fees, by Ahmed Mohamed Abdel Meguid (2007)
Recent grants awarded to accounting doctoral students:
- Yanwei (Bill) Chen: Whitman 2007 Summer Research Award; "Can Equity Capital Valuation Be Improved by Incorporating Information on Earnings Quality and Sizes? Evidence from China."
- SangHyun Suh: Whitman 2007 Summer Research Award; "Earnings Management by Target Firms after Experiencing Hostile M&A Attempts."
- Matthew Keane: Whitman 2007 Summer Research Award; "Sarbanes-Oxley Benefits at the Announcements of a Restatement."
Recent MIS doctoral student presentations:
- Appari, A. & Benaroch, M. "A Formal Model and Methodology for Measuring IT Investment Risks." Academy of Management Annual Meeting, 2006.
- Goldstein, J. & Benaroch, M. "Project Milestones for Managing Risk in Software Development Outsourcing: A Real Options Perspective." Proceedings of the 12th Americas Conference on Information Systems, 2006.
- Goldstein, J. & Benaroch, M. "An Integrative Economic Optimization Model to IS Development Risk Management." Proceedings of the 12th Americas Conference on Information Systems, 2006.
Recent grants awarded to MIS doctoral students:
- James Goldstein: Robert H. Brethen Operations Management Institute 2007 Summer Research Award; "A Framework for Incorporating Operational Risk into the Management of IT Investments."
- Ajit Appari: Robert H. Brethen Operations Management Institute 2007 Summer Research Award; "IT Investment Risk Measurement."