Skip to ContentSkip to Main Site NavigationSkip to Site Left NavigationSkip to Site Utility NavigationSkip to Site Search

Incoming Transfer Students

Transfer Students from Other Colleges or Universities

Every Fall semester, the Whitman School of Management welcomes a limited number of students transferring to Syracuse University from other colleges and universities in the United States and abroad. Academic policies for these transfer students are:

  • A minimum of six (6) semesters needed to be enrolled full-time at Syracuse University/Whitman School.
  • To be considered for commencement honors (a degree cum laude, magna cum laude, or summa cum laude), you must complete a minimum of 60 credit hours at SU
  • Courses in which a student received a letter grade of "C-" or below will not transfer into SU
  • Students begin with a new GPA once they transfer to SU--credits from an outside institution will transfer but grades will not
  • Only courses that will count toward graduation credit will be transferred into the Whitman program
  • Once matriculated into Whitman, a maximum of 12 additional credits may be transferred from another institution.
  • For a listing of courses from other colleges and universities that have been approved for transfer, visit our Transfer Credit Database.

For further information about these policies, or any other issues, contact the Whitman Undergraduate Office.


Frequently Asked Questions for External Transfers

How do I apply for admission to Whitman as a prospective transfer student?

Prospective Whitman students apply for admission through Syracuse University’s Office of Admissions.  For more information, call (315) 443-3611 or inquire via email at, or visit

Which courses that I completed at my current institution are eligible for transfer into Whitman?

Whitman accepts transfer credits from accredited, 2 and 4-year colleges and universities.  Upon admission to Whitman, your transcript will be reviewed for potential transfer credits.  Most liberal arts courses are eligible for transfer, but very few, if any, business courses are transferrable.  You can check the Whitman Transfer Credit Database, and/or contact the Whitman Undergraduate Office at (315) 443-2361 for more information.

If admitted to Whitman, what items do I need to provide to the Undergraduate Office?

Once you receive your transfer credit evaluation from the Whitman Undergraduate Office, you will need to provide an official transcript reflecting grades from your final semester at your current institution. You may also be asked to provide various course descriptions or syllabi for review in an attempt to maximize your transfer credit.

If admitted to Whitman, how do I enroll in courses for my first semester?

Based on the classes transferred into Whitman, your first semester classes will be selected and enrolled for you by the advisors in the Undergraduate Office.  These classes will include required classes that will ensure the timely completion of Whitman prerequisites.

If I am an international student, can I transfer in English courses to Whitman?

All non-United States residents are required to complete the English Language Assessment Exam (ELAE) upon arriving on campus. Based on your score on the ELAE, you will be placed in the appropriate-level English language class.

How do I know when to arrive on campus for my Whitman orientation?

If you are admitted to Whitman and plan to attend in the fall, you will be sent an orientation agenda over the summer.  The agenda will be sent to your “” email account.

If I am admitted to Whitman, can I participate in the Goodman IMPRESS Program?

Yes, all incoming transfer students are placed into IMPRESS houses and are full participants in the IMPRESS Program.